Thursday, December 24, 2009

Blue Mars in Linux: I'd keep it, but...

After reading a tweet my friend Zauber put up a few hours ago, I decided to download and attempt to play Blue Mars in Linux via a beta of Wine v1.2. After the quick registration and activation, I downloaded and ran the Blue Mars installer.

The install went without a hitch. I launched the desktop link to Blue Mars, halfway expecting it to bomb out, like when I tried to run the There.com client a while back. To my surprise, I got the login screen working great.

I login, choose to download Caledonia, restarted the client as instructed, clicked go and then...

It works pretty well, as you can see, but there's a big problem here: it's too damn glowy for me to use. It's like Windlight on crack.

To be sure, the glow is due to Wine's DirectX incompleteness, but it's enough of a turn-off to keep me away from Blue Mars unless they make a Linux client, or the Wine developers work to make Blue Mars visually comfortable for my eyes.

Note: Before anyone suggests it, let me state for the record that buying a copy of Windows 7 at $200 USD just to play a game is incredibly stupid, IMHO. Between SL, my XBox 360 and soon a PlayStation 3, I'm perfectly sorted in the gaming department.

Quite a shame. Blue Mars, you almost had me.

3 comments:

Zauber Paracelsus said...

You don't need to install Windows 7 in order to run Blue Mars. It'll run on XP, Vista, or 7.

You also got a lot further than I did. I froze as soon as I hit the part where you choose a location to visit. So, I had to force kill wine. Afterwards, I tried visiting again, but it failed to go through at all because (apparently) my avatar was ghosted.

Tony Agudo said...

Maybe I should have said Windows in general, but it doesn't change my statement overall.

Maybe when Wine 1.2 comes out of beta I'll try again.

Zauber Paracelsus said...

I managed to get in, and the epic glowiness was blinding. I could barely even see my avatar, and the glow was worse than what your snapshot showed.

The Weird and Wonderful World of Proot and Inits

If you want to run Linux on your unrooted Android phone via Termux , there's at least two main methods of doing so: full virtualization ...